I wanted the focal point of the homepage to my portfolio website to be the navigation bar, and this was going to be placed in the center of the page. I decided I wanted a simple yet effective font which would keep the viewer on my page. The fonts I believed worked best in white, against my simple grey background, were Denne Shuffle Euro Hollow, Peach Milk and thisfontlookslikeelephant (all from dafont.com).
After adding and re sizing my fonts to get my desirable look, they produced my navigation page;
Instead of having many pages, I have decided to make the website a single page that is separated into sections. This I feel gives the site a professional feel and keeps the theme of simplicity. So far I have created the layout of the website and have been mainly focusing on the navigation bar on the page.
After researching many existing portfolio websites, I consider Erika Liberato’s design as one of my favourites. The design is very clean and simple, and he use of rollover buttons is very effective. I would like to use rollover buttons on my on site, and would aim for a simple look.
I created this moodboard using images of existing portfolio websites which I was inspired by. I extremely like the simplicity of these designs, therefore would take this approach when creating my website. I also collected some colour palettes which I believe would work well in creating a simple design. I am very fond of the use of gray and white, as I believe it gives a very elegant and simplistic look, which is very aesthetically pleasing.
The brief is to design and create a portfolio website that will allow future projects to be displayed and launched. We will need to consider who the audience will be ie prospective employers, placements, peers. The design solution should factor in these audiences but should also represent our identity and our practice in the field of digital media.
This is the first time I have designed and created a website and I am looking forward to learning all the skills required to do this well. I often find myself being unsatisfied with the quality of my own work, this could be due to being a slight perfectionist. I find myself coming up with huge ideas, which are sometimes unachievable due to deadlines. I will be thoroughly planning on both paper and computer, what type of design I would like to create by my deadline, and will be using various tutorials and workshops to help create my final portfolio website.
Our brief was to come up with a campaign idea for ‘Fire Kills’. We had to consider innovative ways of delivering the message, and develop one ‘media’ solution to concept stage. (eg a viral video or game, a competition or quiz, a tv ad, poster series etc)
Our campaign had to effectively communicate the six key learning objectives of the Fire Kills initiative:
o Plan your escape root
o Have a Plan B!
o Keep objects out the way of doors
o Close internal doors
o Get out, stay out!
o Keep keys to hand
We started by brainstorming various concepts and ideas we could base our solution on. An idea we all believed was very strong was a first person game, inspired by the game ‘Mirrors Edge’. The objective of the game being find a way out of a virtual surrounding in the most time efficient possible.
Our idea- House Inferno
Our idea was to create an interactive web based game, heavily inspired by Mirrors Edge.
The design on the game is very clean, the colour theme being white and red. Within the game there will be choices highlighted in red, which will result in different outcomes. This captivated one of the main objectives; Plan your escape root . Our idea also included iPhone integration, where the user would initially plan two routes. This would cover the objective of having a plan B. When playing out this route on the web based game, problems would occur, such as objects obstructing your escape route, or it would take more time for the user to locate his keys, causing the fire to build up around the player. This portrays the key objectives; Keep objects out the way of doors, close internal doors and keep keys to hand. The fire will not be seen in the game, but it would be heard, and would gradually get louder, and the surrounding would become darker due to the smoke produced by the fire. The aim would be to get out of the building in the least amount of time, and to stay out.
In my opinion, our presentation went very well. Together our group described our concept in a very detailed way. Initial nerves were overcome as we all pitched in to get as much information across as possible. I enjoyed working with my group as together we came up with some very initiative ideas, and our final idea was very simple yet effective. The mock ups made on Photoshop illustrated our idea clearly, and helped give an idea of our design idea.